Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Moroccan tagine with couscous

Tagine refers to slow-cooked meat and veggies as well as the cooking dish- a clay pot with a conical lid. Most recipes that I found were with lamb and had lotsa spices, raisins, olives and even preserved lemon. I do not have the tagine. But luckily for me, I had Trader Joe's tagine sauce and so I got on with the cheater's version. Being a vegetarian most of the time, lamb or chicken got a thumbs down. The vegetarian version is primarily made of chickpeas. What could be easier than heating chickpeas with the sauce? The tagine is really tasty unlike the usual sub-standard store-bought sauces. There is a certain je ne sais quoi about this sauce that makes it great but I don't know what contributes to the taste.

I served this on some good quality couscous prepared Greek style with bits of chopped up tomatoes, dried oregano, feta, mint, some toasted pistachios, with a lemon sauce tying it all together. Mmmm!!!

1 comment:

  1. mmm...sounds sooo good. My one and only complaint with New York City is that it does not have a Trader Joes. I hear rumors that one is about to open but when ? when ?
    Your description sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete