Friday, June 24, 2005

I am the cook next door!

Another meme- this time the Cook next door meme, started by Nicky and Oliver of Delicious Days.

Tanvi of From the pantry, has tagged me to be her cook next door. The game is really a lot of fun for foodies like me.

What's your first memory of baking/cooking on your own?
I did not know anything about cooking until around my wedding day. It was literally a scene from 'Bend it like Beckham', a cooking boot camp of sorts. I never used to go anywhere near the kitchen before that point. I was a task master though, handing out clipped magazine recipes for my mom to cook and pestering her to make this and that.

Who had the most influence on your cooking?
My mom and grandma. I still believe my mom's cooking is not as good as my grandma's. And mine is no way near my mom's. My mom-in-law has a big part of the way I cook too. I have sort of branched out from Indian cooking and thanks to Food network for that.

Do you have an old photo as "evidence" of an early exposure to the culinary world?
None, whatsoever.

Mageiricophobia - do you suffer from any cooking phobia, a dish that makes your palms sweat?
Homemade ravioli (even though only with potsticker wrappers) and dosas.

What are your most valued or used kitchen gadgets and/or what was the biggest letdown?
My blender/mixer from India (called mixie) is really great. Can do everything from grinding, blending and whipping. A pressure cooker is also indispensable in an Indian kitchen. My biggest disappointment is with my espresso/cappuchino maker. Nothing like Starbucks.

Biggest disappointment?
That would be a flan. Echh... For drinks, I really don't understand what is the deal with wine.

Name some funny or weird food combinations/dishes you really like - and probably no one else does.
The world is full of crazy eaters. My newest craze has been a peanut butter tomato sandwich but apparently there are several fans for it.

What are the three edibles or dishes you simply don't want to live without?
Rice, yogurt and salt. I am really a simple person.

Here are the questions added by Tanvi:

Your favorite ice-cream.
Haagen daaz dulche de leche, a chocolate raspberry truffle ice cream from our local creamery.

You will definitely never eat...
beef, fish, flan!

Your own signature dish...
I'm all over the place cooking-wise. My tiramisu is pretty popular though.

Any question you missed in this meme that you would have loved to answer? Well then, feel free to add one!

Chocolates/candies that you grew up on???
Cadbury's Fruit and nut, loved it and cadbury's nutties. Cadbury's was the only chocolate available in India, 25 years back. Now there are a million kinds, unbelievable.

I would love to know the cook in Nupur of One hot stove.

2 comments:

  1. pb and tomato? wow that sounds, er, not good! but i love cadbury too- what indian doesnt, really?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for tagging me Mika! I enjoyed writing this meme...and really enjoyed reading yours!
    I would love to get your recipe for tiramisu, unless its a secret ;)
    And flan can be really good. No really, give it another chance!

    ReplyDelete