Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Grilling up a great vegetarian burger




I was suddenly overcome by a desire to grill something. This was probably the result of seeing Nupur's BBQ shots. Well, I love my George Foreman grill since it is a way for me to channel my grilling desires. Yes, the char-grilled taste is never there. But *sigh* in my apartment, using an outdoor grill can be done only with a fire-engine standing near-by. I had some colossal portabella mushrooms and they formed the patty. I also made some burger buns from the 'Complete book of breads' by Bernard Clayton. The mushrooms marinated in some oil and vinegar. I grilled them up and just half a mushroom was sufficient was a burger.

For this simple, meatless burger I used a corn salsa and a smoky ricotta dressing as flavorful condiments. They really make this dish southwestern.

For the salsa, mix kernels from 2 corns with two finely chopped tomatoes, 1/4 cup minced cilantro, 1/2 a can of drained fire-roasted chilies and 4-5 diced red radishes. Add 1/2 tsp cayenne, salt and lemon juice to taste. The radish is so flavorful after 10 min or so.

For the ricotta sauce or dressing, blend 4 tablespoons of ricotta (I think yogurt can be used too), 2 chipotle chilies in adobo, remaining can of fire-roasted chilies, salt and a squeeze or so of lemon juice.

I am really happy to have thought of this one. The salsa and dressing were good just by themselves on a grilled mushroom. So low-carbing here I come!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Mika this looks so good! Grilling is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like it was really tasty, Mika. I love grilling portabellos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mika do you know who is hosting this month IBBM? I went to the home page of IMMB, but there is no link for this months host.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mika, I got it, thanks.

    ReplyDelete