Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Potato and red pumpkin curry- A Rajasthani delight




I have posted a recipe for something Indian after a while. The subzi is something I tasted when I ordered a Rajasthani thali (meal) a year back in New Jersey. This was the curry of the day and seriously, I thought it was a bad combination of vegetables. I was even contemplating that it was just leftover vegetables but that was before I tasted it. It tasted good and very flavorful. I found the same recipe in Tarla Dalal's Rajasthani cookbook. I did more than recreate restaurant flavors. It was delicious even though there is no garlic or onion in this dish and the spice-combination is very unique.

Red pumpkin is a bright-orange squash that is sold in Indian and Asian markets. If you don't find it, acorn squash will work well.

Aloo-Pethe ka saag (translates to the above)

4 medium red potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 cups of red pumpkin cubes (just peel and cut them into chunks)
2-3 T yogurt (since it involves a lot of cooking of the yogurt, it is better to use full-fat one)

spice bouquet:
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp nigella or onion seeds
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 bay leaf
1 inch cinnamon bark
2 cardamom pods
2 cloves



1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 tomato, finely chopped
2 tsp coriander-cumin powder
1 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp amchur powder (dried mango powder)
1/2 tsp sugar (optional)
salt to taste


1. Heat a tbsp of oil or ghee and fry the spice bouquet until the seeds crackle. Add asafoetida, yogurt, chili powder, coriander-cumin powder and turmeric and fry for 2-3 min.
2. Add potato and pumpkin and 1/2 cup water, cover and cook on medium-low flame until vegetables are almost but not fully done. Add the tomato and salt and cover and cook until tender.
3. Lastly add amchur and sugar.

5 comments:

  1. Pumpkin is one vegetable, I never even tried cooking, Mika.

    But your recipe seems good and ok to me, I'm thinking of giving it a try. Acorn squash is avialable here, I'll try it with acorn.

    Photo of curry looks really colorful and festive.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At long last, Mika - a new post from you! :) I'll try this with acorn squash, like you suggested

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mika, I've tagged you for the Seven Meme. check out my blog for more details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mika,

    I tried your recipe with kabocha squash/pumpkin. It was really good!!

    Thanks for sharing your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its interesting to me that many people havent cooked pumpkin, In New-Zealand pimpkin is used widely, I like the dry sweet small one called "butternut".. its so nice in dishes like these. I have an English friend and he`s never even tasted pumpkin,, surprising to me!

    ReplyDelete