Monday, November 21, 2005

Tongs from an Indian Kitchen


Idukki Posted by Picasa

Indira has come up with a wonderful idea to showcase utensils and ingredients from Indian Kitchens. This is my must-have tool in the kitchen- 'idukki' or tongs. I have a lot of pots and pans purchased in India that are stainless steel and most of them do not have heat-proof handles. This pair of worn-out tongs are of great help moving hot pans, especially in and out of the pressure cooker. They are very sturdy too. Many of my Indian friends have tried and tested ones that are handed down by their mothers or mothers-in-law.

4 comments:

  1. the time has come. food bloggers need something like librarything.com for food products and kitchen tools. a kind of index, so we can photograph and share and review and comment. thanks for sharing . . . perhaps such a thing exists, or there might be some way of using flickr or . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zp, that is what Indira of Mahanandi is trying to do for Indian kitchen tools. This librarything.com is new to me and I will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mika.. thanks so much for participating in this event. I also have same kind of tongs, we call it 'pattakara' in Telugu and I brought them from Nandyala. Very useful to hold the steel vessels like you mentioned.
    I just want to let you know that I put a hold on this event. I am still thinking about how to organise the photos and where to put them on my website etc., With more images, I have to pay more fee to my domain holder. I didn't think about all these things beforehand.
    Like ZP mentioned, I am also thinking of using flickr to post images, because it is free. Thinking about all options.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mika, my idukki is exactly like my mother's - I'm not comfortable with anything else :) Funny how we get used to certain things, isnt it?

    ReplyDelete