Monday, May 01, 2006

Mango gazpacho for JFI

This entry for the new, exciting event kickstarted by Indira of Mahanandi. Jihva for Ingredients will focus on an interesting ingredient each month. This month it is my favorite, Mangoes. I am surprised that I could not come up with sweet recipes besides the usual mango lassi, shrikand and milkshake. That is 'coz I don't cook with ripe mangoes. I find them too perfect to need messing around with. In fact, I even like the stringy, ripe mangoes available here.

But, in all my desperation to eat mangoes, I may be softening them by pressing them everywhere. So I have to find uses for all the under-ripe mangoes, that I soften. I am sure some of you are over-enthusiastic like me. So here is how I use them up usually:

Mango Gazpacho (this is a classic fire and ice combo)- serves 2

1 medium under-ripe mango, peeled and diced (if you have good, ripe ones you can use it too)
2/3 cup orange juice
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 th of the long seedless Kirby cucumber, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
1/3 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
1/2 small onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 medium garlic clove, minced
1 green chili or small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons parsley or cilantro
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Process mangoes, orange juice, green chili and oil in a blender or food processor until pureed. Transfer to a medium bowl, along with remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

(Some photos will be uploaded soon as soon as I can fix by memory card reader.)

5 comments:

  1. I like fire and ice combinations. Certainly will try this one.
    Thanks Mika for participating in JIF-Mango Event.
    Indira

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mika,

    I thought about mango salsa, but not gazpacho - very creative! I will try this one.

    By the way, I've had your vegetable kurma recipe bookmarked for awhile now - finally got poppy seeds today.

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto above- this is very creative! I love chili and lime with mangoes, its so classic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm... spicy mango soups are great. Had one a couple years back. I still remember it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Mika!
    It was really great post to read my friend did you read my important things on "Welcome to best sms and wishes portal " even I suggested you this : Good night wishes

    I'm Indian blogger working on traditional Indian things to give it digital touch, as you see morning quotes in Hindi

    ReplyDelete