Thursday, February 16, 2006

Blog party #7- Red & Hot



It is Stephanie's blog party. She has come up with a naughty theme when everyone is thinking Chocolate. It is time to make something - hot, spicy and oh, maybe red. Stephanie, I never say no to spicy things. This is a hot tapas recipe from Mark Bittman's 'Best recipes in the World'. I never knew anyone who ate fried, green chilis without any breading. As our farewell dinner, we had been to Tasca Navarre (Pittsburgh), a new Spanish restaurant in Strip district. They served fried jalapenos with some delicious garlic aioli. It was awesome!

The chilis have no bread coating or anything. If you are frying up whole chilis, slit them a little and remove the seeds. They are great for a tapas party because nobody can eat more than 2-3 of these fiesty bites.

Fried Jalapenos with Roasted red pepper aioli- serves 4

10 Jalapenos, slit and seeds removed
Coarse salt
Oil

Deep fry the chilies in very hot oil until their skin crisps up and they turn brown in places. They don't brown very evenly. Drain and sprinkle coarse salt as needed. Serve with aioli.


To keep up with the party's theme, I made some roasted red pepper aioli based on Giada De Laurentiis' recipe:

1 garlic clove
1 roasted red bell pepper,peeled
1/3 cup mayonnaise
a pinch of paprika
salt
olive oil to thin out, if required

To make the aioli: Finely chop the garlic in the food processor. Add the peppers, paprika and blend until almost smooth. Mix this paste into the mayonnaise. Season the aioli, to taste, with salt and pepper. Transfer the aioli to a small bowl.


Tagged: blog party, tapas

7 comments:

  1. Hi Mika!

    Oooh...spicy! I love it. I can't imagine eating an un-breaded jalapeno! That might be a bit too hot for me, but I think Matt would like it.

    It's all great, and I'm so happy you could come to this month's party!

    Round-up will be posted at the usual time (meaning, as soon as I can get 'round to it Saturday night..hee, hee); and I hope you're all settled in now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like my kind of food..Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried ur beet halwa and it was amazing, even better than gajjar ka halwa.. i really loved it better than gajjar.. Thanks.. By the way I link this post again... anthonyskitchen ( I logged in the other id)

    ReplyDelete
  4. woah, WICKED! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh my mouth is watering! This looks so spicy and good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Want to grab it off the screen..:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so delicious! And the aïoli sounds yummy too!

    ReplyDelete