Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Gingerbread with blueberries



It is gingerbread season already. This is a light recipe from Cooking light. I love using blueberries in gingerbread; they are even better here than in muffins. The blueberries are a nice contrast to the sweet bread. So if you have a frozen stash of blueberries, this is a seasonally attractive option.

Gingerbread

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup chopped crystallized ginger (this really makes it special)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (or you can use 1 tsp ground allspice)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup apple cider or 1% low-fat milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 350°.

Toss berries with 2 tsp flour.
Combine remaining flour with all other ingredients through cloves in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk; make a well in center of mixture.

Combine buttermilk through eggs; stir well with a whisk. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Fold in blueberries. Spoon batter into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish or 9-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. The cake is very moist 'coz of the berries. So it can stick to the pan.

It is better served from the pan with a dusting of powdered sugar.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh... I've never tried gingerbread with blueberries before. Sounds yummy I'd try it but I am a hopeless addict of crystallized ginger and have NONE around.And trust me, in Podunkville here, I have none around. Maybe I need to learn to make my own.... I mean at least we get ginger roots here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y'know Mika, I've never tried gingerbread ever. Guess I'd better try baking my own, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nerissa and Sarah- I did not know there were so many fans of crystallized ginger:-). They melt into the gingerbread actually.

    Shammi, you have to try gingerbread. It is yummy. Although they share the same flavors, the bread is better than gingersnaps IMO.

    ReplyDelete